Keep on Praying

Keep on Praying
by Jenny Calvert

Matthew 7:7-8 (NRSV)

 Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

As a child my dad prayed fervently.  He would pray at every meal sometimes in tears being overwhelmed by God’s love.  One time I found him on his knees in a tiny little closet because it was the only place he could go in our small home to get away and talk to God.  At night he would pray with us before we went to sleep.  He would stop in the grocery store and take someone by the hand and pray for them. It did not matter where he was, he was always praying. He set such a good example, so why was I struggling so much with my prayer life?  Why at this point in my life did I feel as if my prayers were lacking?  Why did I feel as if I were talking to an empty room?  I knew prayer was an integral part of my Christian walk so, I just kept on praying no matter how I felt.  I would rise in the morning and pray. I would read my devotionals and pray. I prayed little prayers though out the day.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 says, “Pray without ceasing.”  And so, that’s what I did no matter how I felt. The Bible also tells of a woman who went to the king with a request, over and over again. The king grew tired of her persistence and gave in to her request! (Luke 18:1-8) So I continued to pray and asked God to revive me. 
One day I was reading the Bible and praying and suddenly I was full of unspeakable joy, and God's presence.  I had to let out what He had done for me or I might explode from the fullness. I felt like dancing and singing, and so I did!  It was wonderful!  I persisted and God answered!

 Dear Lord,
Help me to continue to be faithful in my prayer life no matter how I feel.  I know that through prayer you draw me closer to you.  Thank-you for listening to me.
In Your Holy name I pray,

Amen

Comments