HE LEADS ME BESIDE STILL WATERS



 
HE LEADS ME BESIDE STILL WATERS


Photograph by: Greg Mellen
Written by:  Jenny Calvert

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.  Psalms 23 (KJV)

It had been an extremely difficult time.  My husband’s salary had been cut in half due to the company’s financial decline and we had just built a new home with a high mortgage.  We almost immediately put the house on the market and I started finding odd jobs where I would be able to take my preschooler. I was working four part-time jobs, taking care of my five children and keeping my house clean for realtor showings.  This went on for three years. The stress of scraping together money to pay our mortgage was futile as we still could not cover all the insurmountable bills accumulating.  Many times we did not even have money to buy groceries. Between the hours of work and the stress my body became worn and weary.  I ended up in the hospital, very sick, with double pneumonia.

I remember convalescing at home and on Sunday morning was watching a minister on television who quoted Isaiah 40:31 (KJV), “But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” Oh how I needed that scripture.  I was so weary.  I was so weak. I cried. I looked out the window and there in the sky was a hawk circling so effortlessly free.  God spoke to my heart to let me know that eventually all would be well.  I needed to hand it over to Him and quit trying so hard to tread water in this quick sand of debt. God lead me beside those still waters and He did restore my soul. I quit two of the jobs and the house finally sold. The Lord gave me the rest that I so badly needed at that time.  He healed me physically, mentally and spiritually as I felt a renewed sense of hope and purpose. Because we took a loss on the sale of the home it took many years to come out of that debt, but I had peace knowing God would take care of me and my family.

Dearest Shepherd,

Thank-you for leading this lamb to a place of rest and restoration.  Help those who are struggling to get out of debt.  Give them a sense of hope and strength.  Thank-you for your endless mercies.

In Your Name,
Amen 

Comments