EARLY MORNING APPOINTMENT


But I cry out to you, Lord! My prayer meets you first thing in the morning! Psalm 88:13

I remember as a child being scared of the dark. I was afraid of the boogeyman lurking to grab me in the middle of the night. It did not help that before going to sleep, I would pray, “If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.” No wonder I was afraid. I was not ready to die during the night, especially by the hands of an evil beast. 

As an older adult, I am not afraid of the dark as I used to be. I don’t worry about a monster under my bed. First of all, nothing could fit under my bed. Second, I no longer fear death. If God were to require my soul in the middle of the night, it would be amazing to step out from a dream cycle to a dream come true, the presence of God.

In the meantime, as I wake to face a one-of-a-kind fresh new day, one I have not yet mangled, I recognize that God must have some plan for me. I go to Him in thanksgiving, prayer, and meditation to see if He has a distinct word for me. Does this always work? Today, it would not seem so. My body and mind are tired from an overtaxing weekend. I am hungry from this never-ending diet. And quite honestly, I woke with an irritable attitude. 

God knows, and He is forgiving and patient. He sees the motives of my heart, and I know that my feelings have nothing to do with the reality of God’s presence in my life. No, God did not have a specific word for me today. God did not wave a magic wand over my head to make my mood change. I had no grand revelation or vision of God. I did not even hear His sweet small voice, yet God and I have an engagement every morning. It is a love relationship that I can’t afford to miss--a precious, personal appointment. 

Dear Father, It is such a privilege to meet with you every morning. Thank you for hearing my prayers. Through Christ, I pray, Amen.

Comments