MYSTERY OF THE LOST SOCK


But the Lord is in his holy temple. Let all the earth be silent before him. Habakkuk 2:20


With a large family, such as mine, laundry was a never-ending monumental task. I would spend many hours keeping up with this chore. All the freshly washed clothes would be hung in neat little rows outside to dry. It would never fail to happen, but it seemed like each time I did this, at least one sock would be missing. I would keep the single sock for quite a while, hoping that the lost one would turn up. Perhaps it stuck in the leg of jeans, the corner of a sheet, or the arm of a sweatshirt.


After an extended period, if this missing sock did not reappear, I would pitch the single one. I had many unmatched socks. Many mothers have attested to the issue of the mystery of the lost sock.


Do you ever feel like a missing sock? You work, play, read, learn, pray, go to church, read the Bible, watch sports, exercise, and spend time with family and friends. Your life is good, and you have no complaints, but something is out of balance, just like half a pair of socks. 


Maybe it's time for a little quiet reflection and silent meditation on Christ to bring you back to balance. We need to set aside time to let God speak to us personally. When we are still before Him, it allows us to listen to Him speak. We shut out the sounds, screens, phones, and disruptions around us. We are reassured by God's voice, reminding us that He never loses sight of us because, as the scripture says, "The Lord is in His holy temple," and, through Christ, we are His temple. 


When I washed the liner to my mom's old rolling cart, deep down inside was her missing sock. She died almost three years ago. My eyes teared up as I imagined her searching for this one particular sock that was new and in perfect shape. She was never able to solve this lost-sock mystery, but now she is at peace with the Lord. The lost chunk of you that is mysteriously missing may be solvable. Spend a little quiet, alone time with God and see if His small voice will give you direction. 


Help me, Lord, to find a balance in my life by meditation on You. Amen.

Comments