STOP TRYING


Perfect love casts out all fear. 1 John 4:18


The question I used to ask people when I was witnessing was, “If you were to die today, do you know where you would spend eternity?” It’s a loaded question and not one I would use today. Not that it is necessarily wrong, but I decided that the emphasis needed to be placed on the here and now. I want people to come to Christ for the right reasons, not out of fear. Many people are already filled with so much fear that I do not want to scare people to Christ; I want to love them to Christ. My lure is His love.


To this question the most popular response I received was, “I try to be a good person, nice, kind, and helpful, so I hope I go to heaven. ” These are wonderful qualities, and many people naturally have these attributes. I think most people try not to cheat, lie, steal, or murder. Many people show pity on others and want to help. But if we were to stand before a Holy God Almighty today, not in death but in life, would we feel some disgrace? Would we remember the little white lies we have told? Would we remember borrowing something and never returning it? Would we know we cheated on some tests? Would we remember hurtful words or rumors we have told?


I think standing in the perfect light of God, who illuminates our sinful nature, we would realize that we fall short of the mark. But, even this is not the issue. Does God yearn for us to be perfect and good? He has already supplied the perfect sinless sacrifice by His Son, Jesus. The sin debt is paid. Now He is waiting for you to willingly come to Him, seek forgiveness, and have communion with HIm. God yearns for you to desire Him with your heart, your soul, and your mind. He wants to give love, but how can we receive love if we will not accept it? His love is always there whether we receive it or not, but the benefits of utilizing that love is phenomenal.


Most people would agree with our answers to these questions: Do we want to be totally loved just as we are? Could we use some support or help with our problems? Would we benefit from a little peace, hope, and strength today?  Would our burden be lighter if we were rid of our guilt and shame? Would we relish a life that is full? These are all things that we can obtain when we come to Christ and give our hearts and lives to Him. We need Christ to help us in our difficulties, trials, temptations, and weaknesses in this life, right now, here on earth.  If you are trying to be a good person, stop trying yourself and let Christ be the good inside you. We need Him now to utilize the love He has to offer. Don’t come to Him to purchase life insurance in fear, but rather, come to be held, forgiven, and strengthened in His arms of love.


Thank you Father God for loving me unconditionally. I accept your love. In Christ Jesus I pray, Amen.

Comments