THE VAST SEA


Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes. Job 42:6


I have had the privilege to go on trips that have taken me far into the deep abyss of the gulf and the sea. I am always amazed at the beauty, power, magnificence, and even terror of this mighty liquid expanse. At night the darkness is almost palpable, with the moon and stars more brilliant than ever. The tiny shards of light dance on the waves. Then the clouds roll in and the waves increase. An electrifying arch of lightning streaks from one horizon to the other, and for a split second all before me is lit in beauty.


The ship convulses as each wave causes a teeter-totter effect. God nearly shouts to me, “I AM the one who violently crashes these waves. I AM the one who makes the swimming creatures below you. I AM the one who sounds the thunder in the night. I AM the one who controls the howling wind. Yet in all this danger, I AM the one who whispers sweet peace, love, and forgiveness.” I stand amazed and awed.


If this earthly sea is vast, then the vault of God’s knowledge knows no end. God asks Job in chapter 38, “Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb, when I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in thick darkness, when I fixed limits for it and set its doors and bars in place, when I said, ‘This far you may come and no farther; here is where your proud waves halt’?” Job responds in Chapter 42 by acknowledging that God can do all things and nothing can halt His plans.


John F. Kennedy once said, “The greater our knowledge increases, the greater our ignorance unfolds,” and Judy Collins sings these words, “I really don’t know clouds at all.” I say to you today that I can’t even comprehend the sea which gives me only a microscopic glimpse of God’s splendor, so how am I to really know God in all His glory? In the presence of God I know that even the foolishness of God is wiser than any human wisdom.  


I am humbled, and like Job, “I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes.” This one thing I do know: I have given my heart and soul to this unfathomable Creator of the vast deep sea. He chose the foolish things in the world to shame the wise, so I yield to my readers the tiny gems He bestows through me, but I must apologize; I am the first to say that the amplitude of God is incomprehensible to me. With my mouth agape in dumbfounded wonder, I write about God, but do I really know God at all?


Thank You Father God, for always reminding me that I really do not comprehend you fully. In Christ Jesus I pray, Amen.

Comments