LETTING GO


The LORD’s word came to Elijah: Get up and go to Zarephath near Sidon and stay there. I have ordered a widow there to take care of you. 1 Kings 17:8-9


My husband and I were living at the end of our rope and hanging on to our last shred of hope. We were behind on paying bills, we were working several jobs to eek out a meager income, and we had five children to feed. The pantry and refrigerator were nearly empty. For three years we struggled to barely keep afloat, and I spent many hours praying, pleading, and crying out to God. Even in my anger I could see that God always provided for our needs.


Elijah had been living and hiding by a stream near the Jordan River. The only visitors he had during those three years of severe drought were birds who brought him bread and meat every morning and evening. I’m sure he was one lonely man, but he listened to God and drank from the Cherith Brook until it even dried up. It’s the story of a man who would appear to us as being at the end of his rope. He is obedient by letting go to trust God’s plan. God had already prepared the heart of a poor widow woman to provide his needs. We would deem her as an unlikely candidate for provisions, but God’s ways don’t always make sense to us.


Elijah would eventually be mocked and ridiculed for sharing a message that people did not want to heed. Our family, during those difficult years, was also mocked and ridiculed. It was not because we had a message like Elijah, but I think sometimes people, like chickens, love to peck away at the sore of another chicken. Elijah was different, and his message was like a sore.


You may be at a time in your life when you feel all is hopeless. Remember that God has not left you or forsaken you, despite your feelings. If you trust in Him, not your fluctuating emotions, He will help you, sustain you, and bring you safely on the other side of your troubles. He loves you so much. We stayed true to God, and He brought us safely to the other side of our situation. We were better because of it. Read the rest of 1 Kings 17:9-24 to see how God provided for Elijah. God will also provide for you. Let go of the end of your rope, fall into the arms of Jesus, and let Him carry you.


Father in Heaven, I am angry at you right now and confused. I feel abandoned. Forgive me for my mistrust and small faith. Give me the strength to carry on until this is accomplished. Through Christ Jesus, Amen.

Comments