CHILI POT


We smell like the aroma of Christ’s offering to God, both to those who are being saved and to those who are on the road to destruction.  2 Corinthians 2:15

My husband and I, each with our own recipe, joined 14 other contestants in a chili cook-off at our church. We were busy ladling many cups of chili, but eventually I got around to taste several opponents’ version. Each pot was a masterful creation by a cook with their interpretation of chili. I was surprised that no two cups of chili tasted alike. Some were mild, some tangy, some with cinnamon, and some with chocolate. There were pots with beans, and some without. There were even a couple varieties of chili that were made with chicken and white beans. I really couldn’t believe that each one had a distinctive flavor; no two identical.

I thought to myself the next day, this reminds me of individual people who make up the church. Each person has their own flavor to add to the recipe. We have those who are musical, some who are organizers, some who are naturally friendly, those who can teach, those who know how to repair things, and some who are good at listening. We have every age, from young to old. We have brilliant people, and people with mental handicaps, but each one adds their own seasoning of what the family of Christ should be.

I love our church, but I also love the other brothers and sisters from different denominations. God is taking each one of us, and is in the process of blending us together, making the best chili pot ever. We each have a purpose, even if it is only to sit in a pew to smile at someone. That smile, might be the only smile someone will see today. It takes all of us, the salt, pepper, chili powder, beans, meat, sauce, and other seasonings to make a chili pot. When we all blend together in harmony, peace, and praise, to spread the gospel of Christ, we become an offering of a sweet aroma to Him.

Dear Savior, Thank you for joining us together in your love. Help us to be in harmony as we spread the gospel. In Christ I pray, Amen

Comments