NOT GUILTY



Even children show what they are like by the things they do. You can see if their actions are pure and right.  Proverbs 20:11

Dad lined up all his children in the backyard to ask a question. His displeasure showed in his eyes. The question was, “Did you do this?” The thing is, I was so young, and I do not even remember what “this” was. One thing I do know, someone had done something bad, to negatively affect his project.

He had been busy working on the back porch, converting it to a sunroom/bedroom. Someone was a guilty party, but as he directed the question to each of us, our answer was, “No!” I was the last in line to be asked that question. My answer, mimicking the other four, was also, “No!”  I remember feeling guilty, like maybe I had indeed done this bad thing, but did not own up to it. None of us wanted the wrath of dad. Whether I was guilty or not of this particular crime, I honestly do not recall, but I was indeed guilty of something.

We are all guilty to some degree. Even children show what they are like in their actions. When a child throws a temper tantrum for not getting their way, when they lie, denying their wrongful deed, when they speak in sarcastic hateful tones to their parents, when they take something that does not belong to them, or when they disobey parents, they are displaying their true nature. From young, to old, we all sin. The Bible clearly states that, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”  Romans 3:23. In Proverbs 20:9 it says, “Can anyone say their heart is pure? Who can say, “I am free from sin”?”

We can have a pure heart though, when we yield it to Christ, who came and brought us retributive justice though His death on the cross. We did the crime, but Jesus paid the fine. We owe everything to Him who cleanses us from all unrighteousness. Now, because of this sacrifice, we can be free from sin, and step into the light of God’s glory. We need not fear the wrath of God, because when God looks at us, He sees His Son in us, redeeming us to Himself. When we are lined up before Him, we can honestly say, “Because of Jesus, I am not guilty.”

Dear Father, Thank you for the gift of Jesus, who cleanses us from our unrighteous state, and redeems us to you. In His name we pray, Amen

Comments