HER VOICE

Written by: Jenny Calvert

I will lift my voice to sing Your praise, O my Strength—
for You came to my defense.
O God, You have shown me Your loving mercy.  Psalms 59:17 (VOICE)

She was so beautiful, tall and thin and when she would get behind the podium to sing, she had a voice of an angel. I would look at her in awe and could even hint a halo behind her head. She laughed at me when I told her that. Through my little girl eyes, she could do no wrong. She took so well care of all five of her children. She would keep everything neat, clean and tidy. The floors were so clean one could eat off them. The clothes were washed and pressed. Ironing was required in those days. Shoes were polished to a bright shine and lined in a row. The smell of a roast or a meatloaf was in the oven. Her hands were never idle. They were either sewing, crocheting, or doing a crossword puzzle. She pinched her pennies yet gave willingly to church and the needy.  She many times had her nose in a book. I cannot say how many books she read in her life. I am sure thousands. She was smart. She enjoyed nature. We could make her laugh until she would cry. Sometimes she would dance a little jig in the living room and make us laugh. She could even yodel (a little). This was my mother.

I wanted to leave a little tribute about my mother. She was a faithful supportive wife and mother. She was well loved because she loved. She pointed us to Christ and she gave us her time, her words of wisdom and her help. I will forever be grateful to God who blessed me, my siblings, her grandchildren, her great grandchildren, nephews, nieces and friends with her life. I am grateful for her voice that did sing here on earth and now in heaven before God’s throne. It was a beautiful voice, created by the maker of all things.

Dear Lord,

Thank you for my mother and the life she lived. Thank you for her beautiful voice.

In Your Name,
Amen

Comments

Post a Comment