DESPERATION

DESPERATION

Story told by:  Charlene Quast
Written by: Jenny Calvert

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord……. plans to give you hope and a future……You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  Jeremiah 29: 11,13 (NIV)

Charlene was as far as she could be at the end of her rope. Her husband walked out on her, leaving her with a severely handicapped daughter, an infant son, a house note, a pool payment, medical bills and jobless.  Between, taking care of two children, many pediatric visits, laundry, cooking, cleaning, and getting her children to bed, the next day would start and so would the whole routine.  Charlene felt as if she was spinning her wheels but never getting anywhere.  There was always more work than time and more debt than money.   She did find a small sense of satisfaction mowing the lawn because, as she said, “It was the only thing I did that when I looked back I could see that I had accomplished something.” 

Life seemed hopeless.  Charlene was down to around 80 pounds and she was desperate.  She went into her kitchen, looked up to heaven and cried to God, “I give up.  I can’t do it anymore!”

God heard Charlene’s cries for help.  Things did not immediately get better but the first thing she noticed was her yard.  She came home from work to find her lawn had been mowed.  This happened several times, eventually finding out that her neighbor, that she did not know, was doing that task for her.  They also starting babysitting and invited her to attend their church.   It was at this church where she would experience God in a way that was wonderfully unfamiliar.  People there were ambassadors of God. They took her under their wings and surrounded her with His love.

Years have passed, Charlene is retired. Her daughter has gone on to be with God and her son is grown.  Charlene is not bitter with life or the cards that were dealt to her.  On the contrary, Charlene has a wonderful outlook, with love to share and hope to give for the hurting.  Charlene said to me, “I am now in a place of my life that I can help others, just like others helped me, because God has blessed me far above anything I could have ever imagined!”

Dear Lord,

We cry out to you in desperation so grateful you hear our pleas. Grant us peace, hope, and strength that we need during difficult times and then show us who we can help in your name. Thank you for your many blessings and your love.

In His Name,

Amen

Comments